My Little World

A place to put all of my random life commentary.

Friday, August 04, 2006

Shark Week 2

So, I'm watching a special last night during Shark Week (yes, I am a geek...please see previous post on Shark Week and my geekiness). I think it was called Shark Roulette. Anyway, they were profiling shark hot spots around the world where there have been media frenzies on shark attacks. The last place profiled was the "Shark Bite Capitol of the World" - yup, you guessed it, Daytona Beach, FL.

In fact, the two beaches profiled around Daytona Beach were Ponce de Leon Inlet and New Smyrna Beach. I swim almost every single weekend down at Ponce Inlet beach! Granted, the show decided that Daytona Beach did not live up to the media hype being that all of the "attacks" have been rather superficial bites by baby sharks during bait fish feeding frenzies. The kind where your foot or hand might accidentally get in the way. There have been no fatalities and I think one limb amputation out of around 150+ bites. I guess most are about as serious as a dog bite. Still...it made me wonder about swimming there. Regardless of the seriousness, I really just don't want to get bitten by a shark and I boogie board and swim there all of the time!

Maybe watching shark week isn't such a good idea...Yikes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home